- Download PDF Version available for use with email and print distribution.
From: Andy Lichtenwalner, director, Office of Evangelization and Discipleship
Blessed Easter. Christ is Risen!
I am grateful to follow up with you regarding Archbishop Hartmayer’s communiqué memo of April 4, in which he requests your nomination of two representatives from your parish to be commissioned as eucharistic missionaries during the closing Mass of the upcoming 25th Eucharistic Congress on June 18.
- Eucharistic Missionaries: If your parish has not yet submitted names and contact information for two eucharistic missionaries, please do so by Friday, May 20, at this link here. If you have any questions, you may contact Monica Oppermann at email@example.com. More information is provided below to aid your discernment.*
- Parish EC Coordinators: In addition, several parishes still need to designate a parish coordinator for the Eucharistic Congress. Please ask your volunteer to go to the link in English or Español and sign up.
Thank you for your attention to these requests and for your prayers for the upcoming Eucharistic Congress and National Eucharistic Revival. Among other great opportunities at the Congress, the archdiocese will be blessed to have a first-class relic of Blessed Carlo Acutis available for veneration during the Congress. Blessed Carlo Acutis, pray for us!
*More information on nominees for eucharistic missionaries:
These nominees should ideally already be disciples at the service of the parish/ mission with the following characteristics: manifest a strong, prayer-centered love for the Eucharist; have the ability to attend the Eucharistic Congress and to commit for a minimum of two years of service; exhibit leadership qualities; and, if possible, be able to communicate with all your parish/mission members and cultural families represented. It is important that the missionaries consult and work in coordination with you (the pastor or administrator) and your staff on any initiatives you would like to implement at your parish/mission.
The Office of Evangelization & Discipleship (OED) will provide formation and accompaniment to these missionaries over the coming year in order to equip them and have them ready to assist you in the parish year (2023-24) of the Eucharistic Revival and beyond. Monica Oppermann, lead for evangelization strategies in OED, will be coordinating this formation by frequent Zoom evening meetings, networking, group studies on the Kerygma and the Eucharist (with the potential support of a virtual conference), and an in-person retreat if possible.
The missionaries will support you by beginning concrete steps within the parish to deepen prayer around the Eucharist, engaging different parish ministries and preparing formation opportunities and experiences around the Eucharist for the broader parish (including movements, apostolates and colleges/universities within the different parish boundaries)—all oriented to solidify a culture of prayer and eucharistic revival according to each parish.
The archdiocese is exploring the possibility of sponsoring, at the start of the parish year, a large kerygmatic experience, Rescue Project Live, on September 9, 2023, in combination with the priest retreat led by Acts XXIX. We hope that during the next year the missionaries would have experienced the Rescue Project and be able to encourage their communities to participate in the live event.
Here is a list of the envisioned responsibilities/commitments of eucharistic missionaries (subject to adjustment):
- Presence at Eucharistic Congress on June 18, 2022 (if a delegate is unable to attend, it would be appreciated if a parish rep can stand in)
- First year (Diocesan Year, June 2022 – June 2023):
- Virtual meeting with OED every 6-8 weeks (generally evenings, 1-hour)—TBD
- Tentative: One in-person morning of reflection (virtual/hybrid format if possible)
- Tentative: Participate in a virtual Eucharistic Conference reflecting on the four dimensions of a eucharistic culture of the parish (and family)
- Eucharistic adoration/prayer commitments
- With the pastor, discerning the formation of a small team to assist the Parish Year
- Communicating about the ER vision with pastor, parish leadership, etc.
- Second year (Parish Year, June 2023 – July 2024):
- Support Parish Corpus Christi Procession in 2023
- Quarterly (4) virtual check-in meetings with OED
- Tentative: Attend Rescue Project event (Fr. John Riccardo and Acts XXIX, kerygma event) September 9, 2023, with group from parish
- Focus on the parish (plans will vary in consultation with each pastor)
- Third year (Year of Mission/Sending):
- TBD (the national event is in July 2024 – any continued responsibilities will be decided locally in consult with the pastor)