- Download PDF Version available for use with email and print distribution.
To: Clergy and Parishes, Missions, Schools and Chancery Staff
From: Deacon Dennis Dorner Sr., Chancellor
As a reminder, we are still under the USCCB Litigation Hold relating to the sexual abuse of minors. Please see below for what is and is not covered under the existing USCCB Litigation Hold (last updated February 6, 2019).
Record/Non-Record types, electronic and paper drafts, versions, copies, and final documents, which are covered by the Litigation Hold include the following:
• All email and correspondence
• All information relating to Sexual Abuse of Minors
• All Child and Youth Protection/Safe Environment information
• All Clergy Personnel files (includes Seminarians, Deacons, Priests, Bishops, Religious, etc.)
• All Human Resources information, including Personnel files and Benefits files
• All Volunteer files
• All Payroll information
• Any financial information relating to settlements for cases of Sexual Abuse of Minors
Some examples of records/non-records not covered by the Litigation Hold (unless specifically mentioning Sexual Abuse of Minors) include, but are not limited to the following: **
• Surplus Church Bulletins, editions of The Georgia Bulletin Newspaper, or other AOA Publications
• Collection Envelopes
• Student-produced work such as homework or exams
• Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable information such as vendor invoices or utility bills
• Junk mail/Spam email
**While these records/non-records are not covered under the Litigation Hold, many of these do still fall under the Archdiocesan Retention Schedule. As always, all records past retention require approval for destruction. Please see our website for more information at https://archatl.com/offices/archives/records-management/.
Please also see the Litigation Hold FAQs and Guidelines attached with this Memo.
If you need assistance in managing your records or information for the duration of this preservation request or if you are unsure if your records are covered by the Litigation Hold, please contact the Office of Archives and Records at email@example.com or 404-920-7690.