- Download PDF Version available for use with email and print distribution.
To: Priests, Deacons, Parish and Mission Staff, School and Chancery Staff
From: Deacon Dennis Dorner, Chancellor
After engagement from our stakeholders, and back and forth discussions with our diocesan attorneys, we have agreed upon updated parameters to the USCCB Litigation Hold. Please see below for what is and is not covered under the Litigation Hold. These updates are meant to make the hold more practical and manageable for everyone.
Record/Non-Record types, electronic and paper drafts, versions, copies, and final documents, which are covered by the updated Litigation Hold include the following:
• All email and correspondence
• All information relating to Sexual Abuse of Minors
• All Child and Youth Protection/Safe Environments information
• All Clergy Personnel files (includes Seminarians, Deacons, Priests, Bishops, Religious, etc.)
• All Human Resources information, including Personnel files and Benefits files
• All Volunteer files
• All Payroll information
• Any Financial information relating to settlements for cases of Sexual Abuse of Minors
Some examples of records/non-records not covered by the Litigation Hold (unless specifically mentioning Sexual Abuse of Minors) include, but are not limited to the following: **
• Surplus Church Bulletins, Georgia Bulletins, or other AOA Publications
• Collection Envelopes
• Student produced work, such as homework or exams
• Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable information, such as vendor invoices or utility bills
**While these records/non-records are not covered under the Litigation Hold, many of these do still fall under the Archdiocesan Retention Schedule. As always, all records past retention require approval for destruction. Please see our website for more information at https://archatl.com/offices/archives/records-management/.
Please also see the updated Litigation Hold FAQs and Guidelines attached with this Memo.
At this time, we are not required to collect or produce information, only to preserve information. Should you have any questions related to the content of the Litigation Hold itself, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of the Chancellor at email@example.com.
If you need assistance in managing your records or information for the duration of this preservation request or if you are unsure if your records are covered by the Litigation Hold, please contact the Office of Archives and Records at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-920-7690.